Emma Johnson Clarinet Course July 25th and 26th 2024
Venue: Quaker Meeting house, 2 Lawn Terrace, Blackheath, London SE3 9LL
(3 minutes’ walk from Blackheath Station)
- Aimed at clarinet players of all ages of approximately grade 5-8+ standard
- We will play together as a whole group, learning about ensemble playing, tuning, musical styles, breath control, dynamics and making a beautiful sound
- There will also be a chance to play in smaller groups such as quartets and trios
- If desired, participants can take part in a masterclass session where they play a solo piece with piano
- Elementary look at jazz techniques as well as improvisation
- In depth discussion of classical techniques, reed maintenance, practice routines
- Discussion of performance, stage craft, overcoming nerves
- A wide range of repertoire will be played, including Mozart, Samuel Barber, Gershwin, Bartok, Cole Porter and Piazzolla
- We end with a final 30 minute concert to showcase our work
- Blackheath is in a beautiful part of London near Royal Greenwich Park
- Delicious lunch and other refreshments included
10.00am - 1pm (with a half hour break) introductions and playing together in a large group. Focus on sound quality and breath control.
1-2pm lunch break
2-4.30pm (with a break) traditional masterclass where I hear the student's solos and we have a question and answer session. There will be a pianist to accompany students who wish to play but students can just listen if they prefer.
10.00am - 1pm (with a half hour break)
Playing together in the large group and then splitting off for smaller group work. We will also have an improvisation session and a talk about reeds and equipment.
1-2pm lunch break
2-4pm final rehearsal of large group
4-4.30pm Large group concert (parents and friends are welcome)
Students are most welcome to ask me clarinet-related questions at any point of course or to arrange a private lesson with me after the course is over.
Fee for the two days including lunches and snacks and completion certificate: £200
If you would like to attend, let me know if you have any special food requirements or allergies.
Also please give an idea of the solo repertoire you might like to play in the masterclass and a bit of background about your playing history.
To secure your place, please let me know so I can put you on the list
I look forward to seeing you next July!